Pet fire safety is rarely given a second thought by pet parents, but it’s something that should be considered. Fire safety is something that all families should take into consideration, but for families with pets, it is important to take pet specific fire safety concerns in to account as well. Today we want to share with you a great infographic about pet fire safety!
This infographic from the Metropolitan Veterinary Center in Chicago, Illinois, is a great source of information for Raleigh NC pet owners too!
Pet Fire Safety – Tips From One Client
Here at Leesville Animal Hospital we have had clients in the past who have unfortunately experienced home fires. While in these cases the fires were not the fault of the pet, they did significantly impact the choices these clients made in the future as far as fire safety plans.
We asked one client in particular what she felt was one of the most important things she would share with other home owners with pets about fire safety. She told us that without a doubt the importance of a sticker notifying authorities of a pet inside the house is one of the most important things a pet owner can have. In her case, the home caught fire while she was not home and her dog was inside alone! Thank goodness everyone was safe, but we definitely agree with the importance of placing a Pet Alert sticker on the front door or front window of the home!
More Pet Fire Safety Tips
Other things you should do to improve your pet fire safety include:
- Leaving a key with a neighbor who can assist your pet if your home catches fire while you are not home.
- Never leave your pet alone anywhere there is an open flame.
- Use flameless candles instead of flamed candles, they cut out the possibility of soot stains too!
- Keep your pets close to exits of the home when you are not home so they can be retrieved easily in the case of a fire.
- Install a monitored home alarm system that will contact authorities directly in the case of a fire.
What other tips do you suggest? Leave a comment below and let us know!