Does your pet have special nutritional needs?
Just as nutrition is a crucial part of our lives, it's important to our pet's lives as well. Whether your pet could stand to lose a little extra weight, or whether they have special nutritional needs, our veterinarians can help!
Nutritional counseling is an important part of what our veterinarians do every day because a healthy diet makes for a healthy pet! Our clinic not only offers specialty prescription foods for special needs pets, but we also focus on educating our clients on their pet's individual needs. Helping you to understand what your pet needs nutritionally ensures that your pet receives the nutrients that they need to thrive.
Why is Nutritional Counseling Important?
Our pet's today are living much longer and richer lives due to our increased medical knowledge and improved nutrition. However, unlike human foods, it can be much trickier to identify healthy from unhealthy pet foods. This is simply because most of us are not trained to know what to look for when we come face to face with a guaranteed analysis table and an ingredients list! That is where our veterinarian team comes in! Our veterinarians understand what to look for in a high quality pet food, but more than that, they know how to match up the right ingredients with your pet's individual needs.
What is Nutritional Counseling?
When you bring your pet in to see our veterinarians for a nutritional counseling session there are various factors that we look at. Primarily we will discuss any concerns that you may have about your pet and their nutrition. Then, taking your concerns in to consideration, one of our veterinarians will evaluate your pet's body condition in order to make an individual nutritional recommendation. Some of the things that our veterinarians look for during this evaluation include:
- Your pet's body shape. This helps to determine how underweight or overweight your pet is currently.
- Your pet's teeth. This helps to determine whether certain food types are necessary for your pet, such as a dental formula kibble or a strictly soft food diet.
- Your pet's current health. If your pet has a condition such as diabetes or renal failure that require supplementation, elimination of certain nutrients or particular dietary needs this will be taken in to consideration.
- Your pet's stage of life. Depending upon your pet's age and physical health it may be recommended that they be placed on a specific type of food with particular nutrient levels.
- Your pet's allergies. If your pet shows signs of food allergies it may be recommended that you eliminate certain nutrients from your pet's food by switching to a new variety of food.
- Your pet's current diet. If you have recently switched to a new diet (particularly home cooking or raw feeding) our vets will assess whether this diet is right for your pet based on their current appearance as well as the nutrients that you are providing your pet on a regular basis.
What Information Can Nutritional Counseling Provide?
In addition to the wealth of information listed above, nutritional counseling can also help you to understand how to ensure that your pet is in optimal health. This includes understanding optimal feeding patterns, serving sizes, how to identify if your pet is getting overweight or underweight and what not to feed your pet!
Perhaps the most important thing that our clients take away from our nutritional counseling sessions is the ability to see through the claims being made by popular pet food corporations. Unlike these corporations, our veterinarians are not looking to sell you a product, they are looking to optimize your pet's health.
Do I Have to Feed Certain Brands or Diets?
Many pet owners fear that veterinarians push only food brands that they are paid to promote. While we can't speak for other clinics, our veterinarians put your pet's health above all else. This means that we do not have brand loyalties, nor do we discriminate against specific diet types such as holistic feeding, home feeding or raw feeding. So long as your pet is receiving a well balanced and nutritionally sound diet that suits their individual needs, our veterinarians are happy!
Prescription Pet Foods
Prescription pet foods are sometimes prescribed for pets with unique nutritional needs. Our hospital carries a range of these specially formulated foods. If your pet requires a prescription diet that we do not carry, we would be happy to order it for you.
If your pet is in need of our nutritional counseling services, set up an appointment with us today and allow us to set up an individualized treatment plan with your pet's individual dietary needs in mind.
Call Us: (919) 870-7000
Visit Us: 9309 Leesville Rd, Raleigh, NC 27613
Hours: MWF: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
TR: 7:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Sunday: Boarding pickup from 5 - 6 p.m.